Michigan Suspect’s Parents Met With School Hours Before Shooting.
The suspect, a 15-year-old boy who was charged with murder in the deaths of four students, had no previous juvenile record.
But school officials had concerns about his behavior in the classroom. Here’s what you need to know:
Prosecutors filed murder and terrorism charges against the suspect. The Michigan school attack was ‘absolutely’ premeditated, a prosecutor says.
- 1 Horror Video Shows: Oxford High School shooting 4 Killed, 8 Hurt including 1 teacher
- 2 Tiktok Video Reveals Suspect Video And Pictures
- 3 Michigan High School Shooting CCTV Footage Leaked – 4 Killed, 8 Hurt
Here’s what we know about the students who were killed at Oxford High. Why prosecutors say they charged the suspect with terrorism.
Hours after a prosecutor announced involuntary manslaughter charges against the parents of Ethan Crumbley, the 15-year-old accused of killing four fellow students at a Michigan high school, authorities said the parents are missing.
Late Friday, the US Marshals Service said it was helping local authorities search for the couple and offered a reward of up to $10,000 for information that could lead to their arrest.
But in another twist, two attorneys who say they represent the couple released a statement saying the Crumbleys had left town for their safety and are returning for an arraignment.
“On Thursday night we contacted the Oakland County prosecutor to discuss this matter and to advise her that James and Jennifer Crumbley would be turning themselves in to be arraigned,” the statement from attorneys Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman said. “Instead of communicating with us, the prosecutor held a press conference to announce charges.”
The statement added: “They are not fleeing from law enforcement despite recent comments in media reports.”
A law enforcement official told CNN the parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM in Rochester Hills, Michigan, on Friday. Rochester Hills is about 10 to 15 miles from Oxford.
US Marshals announce reward, release wanted posters for James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of the accused Oxford HS (Michigan) shooter pic.twitter.com/CbtWwdTHuj
— U.S. Marshals (@USMarshalsHQ) December 4, 2021
A student where the shooting started didn’t know ‘if I was going to live or die.’
Prosecutors say they have a ‘mountain’ of evidence the suspect planned the attack.
The Michigan shooting was the deadliest on school property in the U.S. this year.
Prosecutors in suburban Detroit on Wednesday charged a 15-year-old boy with terrorism and first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of four of his classmates in a shooting spree on Tuesday at Oxford High School.
The boy, Ethan Crumbley, was being charged as an adult, said Karen D. McDonald, the Oakland County prosecutor. In addition to four counts of first-degree murder and one count of terrorism causing death, Mr. Crumbley faces seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
Ms. McDonald said she is also considering charges against the suspect’s parents, who had a face-to-face meeting with school officials on Tuesday — roughly three hours before the shooting — about the suspect’s behavior in the classroom, according to the Oakland County sheriff, Michael Bouchard.
Sheriff Bouchard said the suspect had also met with school officials about concerning behavior on Monday, the day before the shooting. He declined to specify the nature of that behavior, but said law enforcement agencies had not been notified.
The sheriff said the district had no record that the suspect had been bullied at school, and he did not believe specific students were targeted in the attack.
During a video arraignment on Wednesday afternoon, authorities told a judge that investigators had recovered two separate videos from the suspect’s cellphone, which were made the night before the incident. He talked about shooting and killing students the next day at Oxford High. A journal in his backpack also detailed his desire to “shoot up the school,” authorities said.
The suspect, who had no previous juvenile record, according to a court official, appeared at his arraignment Wednesday afternoon via video from a juvenile detention facility. His parents, who identified themselves as Jennifer and James Crumbley, were also on the video conference observing the arraignment. His lawyer pleaded not guilty on his behalf.
The announcement of charges came just hours after a fourth student, Justin Shilling, 17, died at about 10 a.m. at McLaren Oakland Hospital in Pontiac, Mich., the authorities said.
A prosecutor in Michigan filed involuntary manslaughter charges today against the parents of a boy who is accused of killing four students at Oxford High School, after saying earlier that their actions went “far beyond negligence.”
Jennifer and James Crumbley were charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. Under Michigan law, an involuntary manslaughter charge can be pursued if prosecutors believe someone contributed to a situation where harm or death was high. If convicted, they could face up to 15 years in prison.
“The parents were the only individuals in the position to know the access to weapons,” Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said Thursday. The gun “seems to have been just freely available to that individual.”
Parents in the U.S. are rarely charged in school shootings involving their children, even as most minors get guns from a parent or relative’s house, according to experts.
There’s no Michigan law that requires gun owners keep weapons locked away from children. McDonald, however, suggested there’s more to build a case on.
There is a “strong possibility” the 15-year-old sophomore had the gun in his backpack when he met shortly before the shooting with administrators and his parents over his concerning behavior that day, the prosecutor in the case told CNN on Thursday night. But at that point, no disciplinary action was warranted, the school district superintendent said Thursday.
Hours before the rampage, a teacher saw Ethan Crumbley engage in “concerning” behavior that prompted school officials to pull him into an office and call his parents for a meeting, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told CNN. After that discussion, Crumbley was allowed back to class.
“No discipline was warranted. There are no discipline records at the high school,” Tim Throne, the superintendent of the Oxford Community Schools district, said Thursday in a video statement. “Yes, this student did have contact with our front office. And yes, his parents were on campus November 30th.”
There is a “strong possibility” Crumbley had the gun he allegedly used in the shooting in his backpack during the meeting, prosecutor Karen McDonald of Oakland County told CNN.
“During Covid, they don’t use lockers, so they just have backpacks,” she said.